Sunday 17 April 2011

Simple Enjoyment

Thomas Aquinas said that 'Contemplation is the simple enjoyment of the truth'. I am reading about reclaiming the mystical way, and this elegant line resonated for me. It is like an icon that I can keep on looking into and discovering more. And enjoying.


More and more I am aware of the inadequacy of language to express my experience of soul, God, mystery, the Divine Imagining. And yet I love language and can't resist trying to frame my experiences in it.  But maybe it's one reason I've become so obsessed with photography, as each image is an icon, each image holds a truth, many truths. The truths I find will be partly informed by my context when I took the photos, but that won't stop others from finding their truths. Maybe that's what's so amazing about icons - so much truth to be found.

The book I am reading is Both Alike to Thee - Reclaiming the Mystical Way by Melvyn Matthews. Reclaiming it for the Church, for us, but also reclaiming mysticism from trendy, New Agey shallowness.

The images this time are of silent prayers at St Paul's, Beaconsfield, WA, and sycamore branches (with rooks flying overhead) at dawn in Orkney in April 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Again delightful "icons".... Candles, like prayers and like ourselves, seem to find more of themselves in reflection.... reaching into the depths of heaven the place of play guarded by the rooks!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete